The Turnigy 9XR-PRO is an excellent radio for its price. Its firmware (the program running on it) is continuously developed adding new features and improving current ones. In order to use these new features you need to update this firmware on your radio. Current version is 218, if yours is significantly older you should definitely upgrade it. Unfortunately this is not a self explanatory task and even finding the documentation is confusing (a Google search will give you several outdated sites and some forum posts). There are basically two ways to do this, through the eepsky program, or directly copying the firmware to the memory card. The memory card is somewhat quicker because you don’t have to install eepsky – but I recommend doing it anyway because this a very nice interface to program your radio, I like it much more than using the menus on the transmitter itself (though in the recent firmware versions the menus were redesigned and they are a lot more user friendly – excellent work). If you don’t want to install eepsky, scroll down to Method 2.
Method 1 – Using eepsky
Download and install eepsky program
- Download eepskye from http://www.er9x.com/ (in the Eepe/eepskye section). Your anti-virus program may give you an alert when visiting this site, but I don’t think there is any problem with it.
- Run the downloaded eePeInstall.exe file. Installation is pretty self-explanatory, except for the last step.
- Click ‘I Agree’ on the first page
- Click ‘Next’
- Click ‘Next’ again (you can change the installation directory if you want)
- Click ‘Install’
- Click ‘Next’
- If you are updating a 9XR-PRO uncheck ‘Launch eePe’ and click ‘Finish’. If you are updating a Turnigy 9X leave it checked, click ‘Finish’ and continue with Step 10. These two transmitters use a different firmware and the firmware update program is also different.
- Start eepsky from the Start Menu
- When you first start the program you will probably be greeted with the following message :
A new version of ERSKY9x (ersky9x_rom.bin) is available (r218)
Would you like to download it?
If this is the first time you start the program, click ‘No’, because you need to set the preferences first. Otherwise click ‘Yes’ and save it somewhere you can find it later.
- Go to File->Preferences and set the preferences to the proper values. Especially important are the channel order, stick mode and version to download values. Channel order should match your model’s settings. Set the Version to download depending on what transmitter you use (Turnigy 9X and 9XR-PRO use different firmware versions).
- Click ‘Check’ and download the current firmware version. Save it somewhere you will find later. You will need this file shortly. Click ‘OK’ to close the preferences window.
- Go to Burn->Configuration and make sure ‘Use SAM-BA’ is unchecked.
Connect your radio to your PC
- First you need to start your 9XR-PRO in boot loader mode. This is done by holding the rudder and aileron trims towards the center, then powering up the radio. See the image below. You should see ‘Boot loader ready’ on the display.
- You can now plug the USB cable in the radio (the other end of course in the PC).
- The transmitter will show ‘Busy’ on the screen. If this does not happen, see the troubleshooting section below.
Create a backup of your current firmware from your radio
- In eePskye go to Burn->Read Firmware from Tx
- Select where you want to save the firmware backup (you may need this later) and click Save
Flash the new firmware
- In eePsky go to Burn->Flash Firmware to Tx
- Select the location where you downloaded the current version of the firmware and click Open.
- Flashing takes only a few seconds, don’t switch off the transmitter during this.
- Once it’s ready, you can turn off the radio, disconnect from the PC and start the Tx again – this time with the new updated firmware.
- Problem: When you connect the 9XR to the PC it will only show USB, eePsky will not recognize it and there are no new drivers showing up in file explorer in Windows (or if they show up but vanish in a few seconds).
Solution: First check if the USB cable you use can actually transfer data, apparently some of them can only be used to charge things. If it’s still not working see below to update the firmware with the alternate method.This might be caused by the bootloader. If you have an old bootloder version (1.0), updating it may fix the problem.
Method 2 – Using the memory card
- Open the 9Xr’s USB cover a the bottom. You can find the memory card there. Remove it by gently pushing it a bit.
- Plug it in a memory card reader or even your smartphone and connect it to the PC.
- Start the file explorer and go to the drive that represents the memory card. If you plugged this in your smartphone, it will show up like this: Then select Card on the main pane.
- Copy the firmware that you downloaded (see in Method 1) in the ‘firmware’ folder.
- Remove the memory card from the PC and plug it back to your transmitter.
- Start your 9XR in boot loader mode. This is done by holding the rudder and aileron trims towards the center, then powering up the radio. See the image below. You should see ‘Boot loader ready’ on the display.
- You may see several firmware versions to chose from. Select the one you just copied to the memory card.
- Start the firmware flashing by pressing and holding the Menu button. When it asks for confirmation, press Menu again as instructed on the display.
- Flashing takes a few seconds, don’t turn the radio off during this.
- Once it’s ready, start it up again – this time with the updated firmware version.